Product Safety Engineer
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there’s no telling what you could accomplish. This position is offered in Apple’s Product Safety Engineering department within Apple’s Product Integrity organization. Our mission is to ensure that Apple products are safe for our customers to use throughout the world and also comply with worldwide safety requirements. The Product Safety Group seeks an energetic, poised, data driven and detail oriented engineer with a background in optics and electro-optics to support safety engineering design and testing of innovative consumer products.
- Five years of product engineering experience in consumer, medical, military, space, or reliability engineering experience with a deep knowledge of optics and electro-optics. Including:
- Driving product design for safety and compliance to IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950, 62368, 60825, and 62471.
- Understanding applicable test equipment, test procedures, and agency requirements from above Safety Standards.
- Data analysis, modeling, and automation software. Such as Matlab, Comsol, Zemax, LabVIEW, Python.
- Extensive lab and engineering experience. Knows how to build, debug, and analyze systems.
- Design experience of optical systems.
- Design experience of electrical systems (desirable).
- Conducting FMEA and Fault Tree Analysis (desirable).
- Conducting detailed failure analysis and developing lessons learned.
- Managing relationships with vendors and contractors to develop and qualify product designs.
- Conducting component level safety analysis of optical and electrical modules.
- Technical writing and data analytics.
- Someone who will be both confident to work independently and be a good team member.
Develop a deep understanding of Apple products and work with cross-functional teams to identify and address safety requirements and resolve design challenges of new technologies. Own and drive the safety aspects of Apple products. Conduct Safety compliance testing, report writing, and obtain certifications Using scientific methods, conduct design of experiments and failure analysis. Develop an understanding of manufacturing processes to identify and address potential manufacturing defects that can lead to safety issues. Work with suppliers to ensure that product safety is addressed and maintained during production.
MS or PhD in Physics, Optical Physics, Electro-optics, or related field.
Tesla’s Stationary Storage group is looking for a Compliance Engineer for their residential and industrial scale battery and inverter products. As a Compliance expert for Tesla you will be responsible for product and system level compliance, ensuring all regulatory requirements are met to facilitate global market access, brand protection and consumer safety. In addition you will have the unique opportunity to contribute to the building of Tesla’s Compliance Team, which is still in its infancy.
Networking with internal Tesla groups, external NRTLs and committees in all matters of regulatory compliance including Safety, EMC, and Environmental testing to achieve product conformity. A hands on role with full responsibility.
You will create test plans, execute tests and manage NRTLs to ensure the successful completion of products in line with their program schedules
· Ensure all product regulatory requirements are identified and met.
· Make decisions regarding the most appropriate test conditions and setups.
· Generate test plans, document results and present findings.
· Compliance testing to UL, IEC, FCC, CSA and other applicable standards.
· Maintain product technical files.
· Organization and prioritization of product testing to meet program schedules.
· Manage third party NRTL’s.
· Utilize technical rational and influence NRTL decisions.
· Ensure the availability of test equipment, chambers, and 3 rd party test labs to meet the schedule.
· Maintain and enhance knowledge base utilizing committee memberships, subscriptions, and attending conferences.
· Site test and customer support.
· Developing compliance documentation.
· Support the setup and maintenance of an internal satellite test program.
· Identify creative ways to overcome compliance obstacles.
· Drive root cause analysis of failures and participate in finding solutions.
· 3-5 years of experience testing complex electro-mechanical products for safety, EMC and environmental compliance
· Worked within the guidelines of ISO 17025
· Comfort defining, instrumenting, and working with high voltage, high power AC and DC test setups
· Demonstrated experience creating, maintaining and communicating schedules
· Detail oriented with strong record-keeping and organizational skills
· Strong engineering fundamentals and intuition, and the ability to drive root cause analysis of failures
· Experience certifying products (preferably a battery or inverter product) to UL and IEC standards
· The ideal candidate has worked with a multitude of energy storage and grid connection standards. Ideally drawn from the list below.
- Battery: – UL 1973, UN38.3, UN 3481, IEC 62619
- Product: – CSA 22.2 No.107.1, UL 1741, IEC 62109-1 & -2, FCC Part 15, IEC 61000-6-x, UL 9540, VDE 0124
- Global grid codes: – Inc. IEEE 1547, RD, CEI, G59 / G83, VDE 4105, UL 1998
- Install Codes: – Inc. NEC NFPA 70, IEC 60364-x, CEC
- Environmental: – REACH, RoHS, WEEE, Battery Directive
- EU Directives: – LVD, EMCD, PED
· Experience working with 3 rd party test labs
· Degree or MS in an electrical engineering discipline