The Fate vs. free will in the short story can be seen as Jim makes his own decisions and doesn’t end up acting like the Sunday school books character, James, who we as the reader expect Jim to behave as. Jim has his own morals, his own personality, and he controls his fate, as anything that he can control; fate cannot.
What is the point of view?
• Why was the old gentleman so flustered and the towns people
• Was the author an agriculture expert? How do we know? Cite
examples of irony and satire.
• How long did the author serve as editor? (Long vs. short stint)
• How did the author feel about critics? Editors?
• Why do you think he felt this way?